PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bulldog v. Grob
Thread: Bulldog v. Grob
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2001, 00:17
Max R8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

UAM! What planet are you from?

Don't start me on this one cos I will probably get in trouble.

You are quite right about the Bulldog being a potential (and actual) killer. Its spin could be difficult to recover from if mishandled, but correct recovery actions always worked. It was a dragmonster an needed all of its 200 gee gees to get up to 120 kts. It glided like a Hunter and if you let it get below 75kts dead stick it fell out of the sky. It had no crashworthyness to speak of and, when I first instructed in it, only minimal nav and comms fit.

However, it had stability, a reliable fuel system, a rate of roll that was very much better, could do all of the IFR, Low Level and Aerobatic training is the syllabus, held a speed with constant power and attitude, had predictable pre-stall performance, good cockpit visibility, good conspicuity, could carry two bulky QFIs and their landaway kit, I never had an engine failure in one, none of my students had an engine failure in one, it had military clearances and an F700 which told you the mod state, the last few snags, and exactly what fuel was in it, it did real max rate turns on the buffet and it did not run out of trim in the glide or on finals!!!

Can't talk about the Tutor though. Nuf said.