PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Orders 24 Super Hornets?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 05:21
ftrplt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my opinions only as an outsider:

F15E (variants)
- is a fantastic acft and does a lot of things better than the F18E/F; however doesn't have a pure maritime strike capability (can be done but not optimised)
- USAF is putting its development funds into JSF and is only maintaining its F15E capability; possible support and development issues???
F18E/F
- I don't believe it would have been a go-er in its original form, however Block II makes it viable
- 5 day conversion for F/A-18A pilots; if F/A-18 serviceability becomes a problem (I am in no way saying it is or will be) then the logistics for a surge capability are there
- as you alluded to; it meets the timeframe. 3 years is not a long time to introduce a new capability in an organisation that is extremely tight for manpower.
Yes, the acft systems are different (A and E model) but there are still economies of scale in operating two different versions of the same airframe from a logistics, manpower and weapon system employment

Trying to introduce soviet acft; impossible in less than 3 years and expect it to integrate into RAAF Command and Control; i.e AEW&C. The logisitics would be horrendous and the RAAF doesn't have the manpower to get its head around a totally foreign acft type, systems and support structures. How easy do you think it would be for the aircrew to learn completely new systems and weapons?? It is just ludicrous that people even believe this is a valid option for an INTERIM capability, or for that matter a permanent capability.

As far as the politics of the acquisition; I can't comment as I don't know. However, as I tried to say previously, just because the acquisition may or may not have been flawed, it doesn't automatically make the acft any better or worse.

My only comments on the process; if you want the acft in service starting mid 2010; you probably are behind the time-line already in 2007. Can you afford a tender process??

Also, as the acft is only an interim capability, can you argue there are grounds to bypass the tender process also?? Maybe.

I don't believe the fact that US have been trying to export them previously, and been unsuccessful, would have had any influence on the decision.