PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Max amount of hours allowed on license for J1 visa
Old 2nd Nov 2007, 01:55
SpinningSnowbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TS, I see what you mean about the additional course thing...sounds like a good idea. Pelican's website also seems to specify that they only offer the J-1 for their professional pilot program, but they don't say whether it's for airplane or for helicopter. I've emailed them to find out the official answer, rather than continue speculating. It would be nice to know there is another option for J-1 helicopter training (if only to direct others that way and keep them off my turf! )

TS, like yourself, I'm confused about the "commercial add-on" course that they advertise...I don't really know who that course is for, since the "initial commercial" course is the one a private pilot would take. Maybe the commercial add-on is an additional category/class add-on...but with only 5 solo hours...???

I don't, however, agree with you about the 35 solo hour requirement that you mention. A private pilot receiving training for a commercial license can log PIC for all dual training time (provided the instructor doesn't do any of the flying), so one would not need 35 solo hours. In order to satisfy part 61 commercial requirements a pilot only needs 10 solo hours and 20 dual hours achieved after their private license, plus of course the 150 TT (50 in a heli) /100 PIC (35 in a heli and 10 x/c in a heli). In my mind anyway, pelican's commercial course satisfies part 61.

Additionally, for a part 61 instrument rating, up to 20 hours can be completed in a simulator or FTD (30 hours if the school is part 142 rated), so pelican's course appears to satisfy part 61 requirements, since a commercial pilot will have already completed at least 10 hours of instrument training prior to getting his commercial license (31 heli + 14 sim = 45 hours).

I think that's right...correct me if I'm wrong....

Last edited by SpinningSnowbird; 2nd Nov 2007 at 02:05. Reason: clarification of instrument time