PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does Emirates ban their pilots from sitting in the cabin during ULR flights?
Old 1st Nov 2007, 19:00
FlyingSpanner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NG Kaptain and Travelling Engineers

Since i am both a Licensed Engineer and now an A320 pilot (short haul I know BUT), I can firmly come down on the side that the engineer SHOULD have a seat.

Firstly, the point that the crew at landing could be on duty for 16 hours or so and should be refreshed is no less important for the engineer goign with you. When you think about it, pilots are getting off to go and rest at that point. The engineer has to get off and WORK!

Now do you want the engineer who certifies that the aircraft and consequently responsible for ALL the inabitants inside ALSO, to be knackered either? Nope not me mate.

Also, at EK, the seat the engineer sits on is NOT a freebie seat as most people think. Its probably the most expensive seat on the aircraft. its an internal purchase by the engineering department at FULL UNRESTRICTED FARE by the engineering department to send the engineer with the aircraft.

This money is recharged back to operations by engineering along with the cost of supplying the engineer for that period of time.

Internal accountancy!

And the rate for the boys who are sitting there when I was doing it was 65Dhs per hour. When you think that is only £8.50 per hour is it such a big deal to give them a nice seat for a few hours to sit and relax before he has to go and earn his crust?

Hope that sheds a little light on your travelling Engineers

Flying Spanner