PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light single into Gatwick?
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2007, 17:37
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I did it. Departured Thruxton at 0940 and arrived at the MID VOR about 25 minutes later. Having taken off VFR I then entered IMC with a RIS from Farnborough and then made contact with Gatwick Director just west of the MID VOR. I was then given a climb to 3000ft inside controlled airspace and told to proceed to the MAY VOR. Once well downwind of runway 26L I was given vectors for the ILS (I have an IMC rating). The clouds were pretty turbulent as I descended on the ILS and I broke through at about 1200ft.

I was now on finals for the world's busiest single runway airport.

Airliners were everywhere and as I vacated the runway I was given stand 142L. Then came the best moment:

Ground: G-KT proceed direct to stand 142L on J, the BA 737 on you left will give way to you.

Me: Taxi stand 142L on J G-KT

Ground: Speedbird xxx hold postion....give way to the cherokee on your right.

On stand and car from Interflight comes to greet me...takes me to the "General Aviation terminal" (which is a little portacabin next to the South Terminal).

The inbound flight was not too bad actually...ILS approach wasn't perfect...but then its always difficult in turbulent cloud.

Departure was a VFR depature to the NW from runway 26L...while sitting in the take off queue I could feel the aircraft shaking a bit from the jet blast coming from the plane in front of me, but I kept my distance.

Overall it was worth it...sitting on the apron next to a 747 was brilliant and the contollers (especially ground) were really nice.
Some pictures:

Last edited by Contacttower; 1st Nov 2007 at 20:22.