PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast jet experience of a lifetime
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2007, 17:26
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what you mean about not wanting to horrify your passengers but on the other hand it always seems like a bit of a waste to take a seat in a fast jet and not get a taste of how the aircraft really performs.

I have to say that despite being treated to some very "interesting" flights with RAF squadrons, one of the most memorable flights was courtesy of the FAA, and 899 NAS's Charlie Cantan, a former Falklands pilot. After having been impressed by the Harrier's take-off performance (easy to forget what a relatively light aircraft with a big engine is like), I thought we were destined for a relatively uneventful flight, following some Sea Harriers taking-on fuel from a VC10. But after annoucning we were leaving the formation and heading down, the hard roll and vertical descent to low level was enough to convince me that he wasn't going to make this a gentle stroll!

The low level run through Devon and was fantastic, pulling tight up hillsides, rolling inverted and pulling down the other side, looking up through the canopy at startled hill walkers and assorted sheep! Even then the T4N was getting on in years but it was great to see just how sprightly the old machine was. Just as impressive was returning to Yeovilton and coming to a stop over the runway, just sitting there on a smelly column of very turbulent air. I'm eternally grateful to Charlie for showing me what fast jet flying is really like, and not just making it a "joyride" even though it most certainly was!