PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light single into Gatwick?
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2007, 14:24
verticalhold

The Veloceraptor of Lounge Lizards

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gatwick is a regular stop for me, both fixed wing and rotary. Usually VFR in the rotary, and the routine is hold at the North Terminal, and then land after whichever sky darkening piece of alloy has just touched down. Sadly they then make us follow A lumbering line of jumbos to a hold for a runway departure. They just can't get the idea that all I need is somewhere reasonably flat and a route nothbound away from the approach/departure path, which is pretty much what Heathrow provides. IFR in the rotary just involves flying the approach a bit quicker, the fixed wing is simplicity itself, either me or p2 flying and a sweetly fragranced hostie bringing tea and complaints from the pax!

If you are unsure what to do when asked for or given headings etc then take an instructor with you. Neither ATC or the crews operating CAT will thank you if you are on a teach yourself experience. ATC will be expecting a level of competence, not sudden curved balls. Have the radios set up and the frequencies listed where you can see them. Be prepared to do what you are told when you are told to. Frequencies can be bloody busy, be concise and give what is needed, not your inside leg measurement or what your granny had for breakfast. Enjoy it. The whole process of flying should be fun, the fun can stop when you get an earbashing from a frazzled ATCO for messing up his flow, or a sarky snap from a CAT pilot who is knackered having just flown halfway round the world, been up all night and just wants to get home, shower and sleep.

In fact thinking about it, I don't have a flight sim programme on my PC so I'm not sure whether this idea is worth it, try flying the trip on your PC before doing it for real. Not for nothing does EGKK appear on the military aircrew humour chart as "Shark Infested Custard!"

Have fun. I hope I'm there when you go. We use the same agent, and could grab coffee. I would love to see more GA using major airports.

VH