PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting NZ Licence to UK
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2007, 11:36
The Trailing Edge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience of the conversion

Long time listener....first time caller!

I am almost at the end of the process of converting my NZ CPL/MEIR to a JAR(UK) CPL/IR otherwise known as a frozen ATPL.

The process is not an easy one. If you go from a straight CPL/IR it involves the 14 ATPL exams as well as a ground course for these. Then its training "as required" to sit the CPL skills test, for me 8hrs. Instrument Rating is a minimum of 15 hrs, 10 of which can be in an approved sim.

I started the process in late May when 8 huge folders arrived in NZ for all the theory subjects. Since then i've passed all the exams, CPL skill test, and hopefully wil sit the IR test next week. So from start to finish the whole process will have taken about 5 months, including working full time for the first two.

Cost wise it depends where you go and what you do and where you stay. Expect $60,000 for the conversion. Maybe a wee bit cheaper if you do the IR conversion in a JAR state like Spain rather than the UK. Test fees are horific, 712GBP each for the CPL and IR skills test. There are also lots of little costs which pop up from time to time RT tests and issue fees for example.

Some evenings when i'm buried in paperwork I think is it all worth it! Maybe I could have sat it out for another 18 months and got that airline job in NZ..... but then the opportunities here are pretty good. There may be a bit of a slow down in hiring at the moment but the scale of the industry here is huge and that has to be good for job prospects, plus you get to do a bit of travelling!

There are ways to convert back to an NZ ATPL once the JAR one is unfrozen, like converting to an AUS licence and then use the TTMRA to get your NZ one. The Aus conversion requires that you have held or do hold an Australian IR, you can get that by converting your NZ one. So as you can see its complicated.

Hope this helps!