PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus CAPS deployment option during emergency
Old 1st Nov 2007, 10:15
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I wonder why the system on the Mooney is considered superior as it is based on the same TKS technology as far as I was aware."

Simply because it is attached to a superior aircraft.

Seriously though, there is a lot more to TKS certification than just attaching the panels and a pump.
The degree of systems redundancy required for FAA certification is staggering (3 pumps in total) plus other extras. There is a numbered standard that everything needs to be tested to (can't remember it off the top of my head). I remember reading on this site that FIKI certification on the cirrus and columbia would be nigh on impossible due to the possibility of ice accretion on the fixed undercarriage.

The Mooney remains the only factory fitted FAA approved TKS system approved for flight into known icing. I can tell you from personal experience it works extremely well both as de-ice and anti-ice - (worth every penny) and has made more challenging missions possible for me which I would have been unable to handle without it. Funnily enough I have hardly used it in the last year but the year before I went through gallons of aeroshell compound 07.

SB

Last edited by scooter boy; 3rd Nov 2007 at 18:38.