PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does Emirates ban their pilots from sitting in the cabin during ULR flights?
Old 1st Nov 2007, 03:35
mohdawang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A real ****ty issue and I believe such a policy was made up by management guys with brown stuff for grey matter.

I've seen airline executives enjoying themselves quietly ( albeit well dressed in business suits ) in business/first class lounges during duty breaks. Likewise management executives treat their family members and friends to nice executive lounges while receiving their ( official, I don't think so ) visits to their offices and ivory towers.

Pilots must make it be known that they need good rest ( not necessarily only sleep ) and break from flight monitoring duties to remain fresh and alert during critical phases of flight. Passengers and management must be RE-EDUCATED on this. Years ago while ' freeloaading " on an MH B777 ( which had a front crew bunk ), a first class pax was instigated by his partner to complained about the skipper's presence in the FC. I overheard the exchange: the skipper asked the pax whether he valued his life if he were to undergo critical surgery and the surgeon wasn't properly rested and groggy, whether if he would begrudge proper rest/recreation/proper and good food for his his surgeon just prior to going under the knife. The skipper " enlightened " the pax that by landing time he would have been on duty for close to 16 hours and without proper rest/recreation/food, he would be almost punch drunk, not really suited for the horrible weather at the eastern seaboard airport of Newark. He had gone to FC for a proper meal ( simultaneously watching the video )....the cocky pax would listened to none of that until the skipper said " I take it that you are now officially interfering with my legal rest time; would you like a witness to that effect for your official complain to the company and my report to the New York Port Authority police ". The pax backed down...we all patted the skipper on the back later. I did not know if anything untoward happened to the skipper as I had left MAS later and I heard the skipper left too. However I thought the skipper made a good point; but I am sure this would not fly with those green eyed monsters we are unfortunate to have as airline bosses and pain in the arse pax.

Last edited by mohdawang; 1st Nov 2007 at 03:51.