PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speechless Code
Thread: Speechless Code
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2007, 10:32
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LXGB,

Were you operating in your capacity as a "Military Emergency Controller" when dealing with this pilot?

If not then the pilot was perfectly correct to provide some feedback because you without further explanation tried to use a procedure which if you read CAP413 is part of the procedures for dealing with D+D.

Perhaps you don't remember the old procedures for speechless QGH including the old favourite speechless compass and gyro u/s one. Back then the procedure requried us to remind the speechless aircraft to use 1 for yes and 2 for no and the old "Fly straight and level on primary instruments all turns will be timed by me starting and stopping on the executive word now"

I get the impression that you would not bother with such a statement. After all the pilot should know that should they not?

One wonders who had the comms problem!

------

Backpacker,

The old triangle system was more for flights that were above cloud......Someone with a big hairy thing on their lip would come up and waggle their wings and you would formate on them while they did a QGH or PAR or whatever was available to get safely down through the cloud.

---------

Foxy Loxy,

The morse code "H"(....) is used by a speechless aircraft to request a QGH (Homing and Controlled Descent) H being for Homing.

These days, 7600 and the European procedures for comms failures are suficient knowledge. i.e. For VFR flights - remain in VMC and land at the nearest suitable aerodrome. Cant get more simple than that.

Regards,

DFC