PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Down on Melbourne Beach
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2007, 09:42
Spunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I guess it`s time to drop my trousers.

Being a young and unexperienced pilot right out of school I was sent out on a photo flight in a H300. The photographer, to say it in plain English, was an arrogant a*******, trying to push me beyond the limits at all time ("The last pilot I flew with, was able to do it.")
Not having enough guts to simply say "NO" I started to hover out of ground effect with a tail wind component. When realizing that I was about to run out of pedal I figured that it was about time to gain some forward speed and reduce some power. Thinking of that it was already too late. The aircraft started to spin to the right like hell. As the initial brain signals for more speed and less power were already on their way I instantly found myself in a nose down attitude with flat pitch. It took me 2 x 360° revolutions and @500 ft to regain positive control over the aircraft. Those trees were awfully close. It's nothing that I'm proud of in the first place but I've learnt my lesson.

I personally think that something similar to the above story is what happened to this fellow female aviator.
For some reason she lost tail rotor effectiveness/authority, realized that something went wrong, dropped the pitch (isn't that what most of us instinctly do when something goes wrong?) resulting in a loss of altitude, nosed the aircraft over to gain some forward speed (thus drop in RRPM) and luckily regained control.