PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Media Coverage of The War
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2001, 14:27
Snapshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacko,
I have never directly responded to any of your posts, mainly because 1, I usually agree more than disagree with you and 2, you know so much more about aviation issues than I. I try to only comment when I am reasonably sure I know what I'm talking about.
However,

null"With regard to publishing pictures of people's faces, OK, then let the press minders make sure that the media know that they shouldn't do so and why they shouldn't - they're not serving members of the forces so often need to be persuaded, and not just told, to do something."

I find it a great shame that any journalist/reporter/photographer (as I am) can claim to not know/realise/understand the gravity and possible consequences of 'exposing' 'our special' friends to 'those' who DO NOT NEED TO KNOW!
How can the same people who must have at some stage in their lives, been proud of our forces and this elite unit willingly put these men at risk, just to 'get the story'?
It saddens me more that what was once the pride of our country which part of its fighting effectiveness was the mystique around their unit and history. Knowing that that fact alone, struck extreme terror amongst the enemy by the simple mention of 'their' name, has now become a media target and the subject of more books then the Mills and Boone series.

Has no one any morals anymore or is it just about glory, recognition and a pay cheque?
These men have families, if any one of them where captured, God knows what would happen to him, but you can guarantee two things, the press would be outside the chaps house within hours and I would bet his family wife and kids would be in all the papers the next day. The other, well, I bet the 'enemy' would love a prize like that, especially telling him what they were going to do with his wife and kids (who they now knew all about cos they read it in the daily puke)!

I have been lucky to photograph some VERY interesting things during my time as a photographer, all of these photographs were taken due to requests from various units for use for their 'own' internal training methods. I was asked because 'they' knew, no matter what, the originals would NEVER go anywhere but to them. I am very proud of that, I've made no money from it but gained much more.

I trust common sense might prevail before someone regrets their actions.
I apologise now if anyone is Pi$$ed off with my comments, I'll go away and take some more aeroplane photographs!

Snaps