PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind Farms & Aviation Safety
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2007, 07:45
RotorDompteur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Denmark nearly 20% of the electric power comes from wind turbines.
It may not have caused entire power stations to have been closed. But I believe that several are partially shut down. In that way they can be brought online should an emergency need arise.

Denmark is not forced to by electric power from our neighbours. It is done that way for economical and enviromental reasons. Electric power from swedish and norwegian water driven power plants is more enviromentally friendly than starting up one of the conventional power plants.

Offshore wind turbines do not cause many bird deaths.
Birds are more clever than most people tend to believe. They sense the turbines long before reaching them.
Just think about it, on a dark vinter night they can circumnavigate the moving branches of a tree. Surely they will be aware of a 270 feet turbine with 40 meter wings.
Besides the visual clue the birds can hear them aswell.

In Denmark we already have several offshore wind farms. Yet I have not heard anything about them causing problems for either civil or military radar.
Out of Esbjerg most of the offshore oil traffic passes one of the biggest wind farms.
I will try to investigate a little to find out whether they experience similar problems.

And personally I would rather be looking on a wind turbine than on a power plant.

RD

Water birds do not fly near windmills offshore
Eider and geese do in fact discover the whirling blades at sea. At the world's largest offshore wind farm, Nysted in Denmark. Danish researchers have used radar to study the reaction of migratory water birds approaching af wind farm.
http://www.windpower.org/composite-5...xKeyword=birds

Last edited by RotorDompteur; 31st Oct 2007 at 07:48. Reason: fixing link