PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2007, 01:20
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People in the know may correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall from some years back that there used to be a rough rule of thumb among UK airports that handled 3 million plus pax a year that they could make a go of a transatlantic route? Time to put it to the test at Cork? If Knock can despatch 737-700s to Boston why not Cork to BOS or New York.

No, have not heard anything about Jersey. Did okay for JetMagic as a seasonal route a few years ago but putting EI A320 on the route might be just a little too much? Not sure, really. Interesting to note that like JetBlue the Central American group of airlines, TACA, have just recently ordered some ERJ-190. Might be something for an adventurous EI to try if they have no wish to go down the A319 route. With a 99 seat or less ERJ-190 you can get away with 2 cabin crew rather than 3 crew on a 149 seater A319? Lots of potentially viable new routes out there for aeroplanes with lower operating costs and fuel burn?

Thought someone else might mention that the inaugural Sky Europe flight from Bratislava began yesterday into Cork. Hope the route does well. Think the frequency is around 3 a week which should be okay. Nice bright colours on their 737s and the winglets look mighty on -700 series airframe.

The bit of colour brightens up the grey Cork skies - Jazz weekend notwithstanding!

Hope Mr Gantly's encouraging talk about independence for Cork Airport from the DAA is serious and not just posturing in the wake of Mr Shanahan's firm stand at snn. Certainly, one to watch over the next few days!