PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2007, 16:03
Carmoisine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visual Calls, My initial reaction to reading your post is, in the words of our hallowed leader to the EU, Foxtrot Oscar. However, I am going to educate you instead.

Forced how? Someone hold a gun to his head and tell him he will be a captain?
Believe me, if Ryanair could literally hold a gun to peoples head I don't think they would rule it out as a tactic. When I use the word forced I want you to close your eyes and concentrate for a moment. Seriously: just play along for a moment. I want you to associate the word with blackmail, coercion, trickery.

I want you to imagine the 200 Hr cadet with €100,000 in debts. He passes his interview and is told he is being taken on the basis of a permanent employee, is told that a job awaits him at the other side of his type rating. Type Rating, Circuits, and two months of line training is finished. He gets an interview to sign his contract of employement (Yes, the first one even after all that) where he is told, that "we" are sorry but the only positions we have are as BrooKfield Contractors. Take it or leave it.

Now you may be a wealthy person Visual Calls but at that point with €130,000 committed, Ryanair have these Cadets over a barrel. The fact is that Cadets will sell their soul four a job, a few might not, but they are the exception. What they do is dishonest.

Another scenario. Command upgrade candidate. Passes through all the hoops. Goes for same interview as above. It's announced to him that the Captain salary at his base has now been lowered, to say, €52K. Candidate has a wife, two kids and a dog and cat based at a far flung base in Europe, settled in with a house.

If either of them refuse, out they go on the street and Ryanair wheels in another Brazilian on a Visa and an IAA validated conversion of their licence, or another low houred cadet.

I'm not asking for your sympathy, but these are the realities that we face here. I am an active IALPA member and have been trying with all the energy I have to get people to get involved in REPA. However, when you get a mix of nationalities, bases, permanent and contract, it is nigh on impossible to get people to act in a unified manner. Which enables Ryanair to continually erode our pay at what I estimate to be 10%-15% a year.