PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Large Station Closure!!!???
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2001, 16:09
Man-on-the-fence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This from that esteemed Andrex Substitue the Oxford Mail.

Brize air base in jeopardy

A government review of the future of RAF Brize Norton has sparked anger and fears for jobs and businesses.

Witney MP David Cameron has branded the announcement "insensitive" while servicemen from the base were putting their lives at risk in the conflict in Afghanistan.

Brize Norton, RAF Lyneham, in Wiltshire, and RAF St Mawgan, in Cornwall, have all been put on notice as part of a Ministry of Defence strategy review of major air bases.

Brize Norton has about 3,500 personnel, 500 of whom are civilian workers from the surrounding area.

Businesses also fear closure would seriously hit the local economy.

Lester Giles, partner in Giles Sports shop in Alvescot Road, Carterton, said today: "This sounds serious and has to be worrying. A lot of people depend on the base for work -- there is no other major employer in the area. The whole economy would be devastated if we lost Brize Norton. It pumps loads of money into local shops and businesses."

Carterton Town Mayor Joe Walcott said: "Whenever doubts about the base's future raised there are serious worries for people in the town."

The Mail on Sunday newspaper yesterday quoted an unnamed "senior defence source" as saying the review was ordered by the Treasury to raise cash through development for housing.

Mr Cameron said today: "If what the source says is true, then it is disturbing. If not true, the source should be named and fired."

He is planning to ask for a statement on the issue from Armed Forces Minister Adam Ingram.

"I will do everything I can to promote Brize Norton as an air base. It is one of the largest and longest standing and has a central role in the defence of this country," said Mr Cameron.

"The world has changed since September 11 and become more dangerous. I find it staggering and insensitive that this has come out while we have airmen and crews overseas defending our vital interests.

"This is the wrong time. It just creates uncertainty and rumour."

The review, which begins in a few weeks, is being led by senior air chiefs. News of it was given in a letter over the weekend to West Oxfordshire District Council.

Cabinet leader, Mr Barry Norton, said: "This is out of the blue, a bombshell. I have asked the Chief Executive to make sure we are kept informed at all stages."

The new uncertainty over the West Oxfordshire base follows previous worries about its viability with the phasing out of Tristar and VC10 jets used for mid-air refuelling of fighter aircraft - their current role in Afghanistan.

But that fear has subsided with both commercial bidders for the new generation of tanker planes opting for Brize as the home base.
Oh really!!!!
I must admit I'm with Beags on this, Scrap the PFI bit of FSTA, dump the AwhateveritisthisweekM, buy B767 tankers and more C-17's. And more importantly stop trying to get a Quart out of a Pint Pot and fund the Armed Forces properly.