PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Large Station Closure!!!???
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2001, 20:24
Paul Wesson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Below is a copy of D/MIN(AF)/AI/2/16/1 dated 9th November 2001 from Rt Hon Adam Ingram JP MP, Minister of State for the Armed Forces to David Cameron, MP for Witney. David Cameron copied it, quite correctly, to the Chief Executive of West Oxfordshire Diistrict Council who copied it to me as a local District Councillor. I represent Carterton South, the District Ward that includes RAF BZN. It appears to be the same letter that the newspapers have had sight of. I hope this clarifies the issue for the time being.

"I am writing to let you know about a study which the Royal Air Force has embarked upon to consider the future roles of RAF Brize Norton, RAF Lyneham and RAF St Mawgan.

The need for the study has been driven by the arrival of new types of aircraft over the remainder of the decade. As you know, the MOD has decided to buy 25 A400M aircraft which, along with the C130J Hercules aircraft, will form the RAF's Air Transport Fleet. The Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft is also due in service as a replacement for the Tristar and VC 10 fleets.

The study will examine the most cost-effective location(s) for the Air Transport Fleet. This decision will need to take account to a large extent on the outcome of the competition for the Future Strategic Tanker Aircraft, and the decision on where those aircraft will be based. The initial stage of the study will identify the most suitable base for the A400M aircraft. The study will also explore the opportunities for commercial development at both stations, as well as RAF St Mawgam (where some spare capacity also exists), in the light of decisions taken about the location of these units.

This study is a normal part of the MOD's planning process. I must emphasise that no decision about the future roles of the stations has yet been made and the study will take several months to complete. I would intend that the study team consult the local councils in each area. Any recommendations arising from the study will be subject to consultation in the normal way.

I will write to you again as soon as the first stage of the study is complete and the basing for the A400M is chosen."

I must emphasise that I have copied the letter verbatim. It is not my fault that the Minister of State can't spell TriStar, hasn't heard of the C-17 and is incapable of stringing together a cohesive letter. The third paragraph, whatever it may mean, is, truly, the Minister's own work.

[ 25 November 2001: Message edited by: Paul Wesson ]