PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft flights to Beirut
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2007, 09:53
Flying Microphone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strake
Hiya mate. Were you flying out of Akrotiri? I was based there with BFBS between 94 and 98 and used to fly with the Akrotiri Flying Club.
Beirut was a regular destination for weekend trips for us. The last time I did it was in about 1999 on a trip back for a holiday in Cyprus from the Falklands.
On that occasion I hired an Archer from Larnaca.
On most occasions, I flew 5B-CIR (The Yellow Peril!) from Akrotiri. We used to have to land at Larnaca to hand in Gen Decs, clear customs etc, but later the DCA in Nicosia allowed us to do all that at Akrotiri instead.
Routing was below airway Romeo 19 (if I remember correctly) direct to OLBA.
From memory, the landing fees and so on in Beirut were very reasonable and as the flight from Larnaca would only take around 75 mins, you didn't even need to refuel. You'd talk with the military controllers at Akrotiri, then Larnaca, Nicosia FIR, Lebanese FIR, then into Beirut itself in the normal way.
ATC were always very helpful and friendly especially after we once relayed an airways clearence to a passing Syrian Arab Airlines flight who couldn't hear Beirut. The controller came out and met us on the pan to say thanks personally
I'm really hoping that the Akrotiri Flying Club is still as active as it was. We flew all over... Rhodes (turn the opposite way on Romeo 19!), mainland Greece and a truly memorable flight to Egypt. Refuel at Alexandria then on over Cairo to Luxor. We thought the controllers in Cairo would route us away from the city, but no... 8,500 straight over the top of the pyramids... truly mind-blowing!
Feel free to message me if you want anymore info mate and happy flying!

Last edited by Flying Microphone; 30th Oct 2007 at 10:09.