PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a LAME
Thread: Becoming a LAME
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2007, 06:02
Mr.Buzzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SB4200,
I went down a similar path to your description with the exception of completing a trade (engine/airframe) with a dozen odd CAA basic exams before going to chase flying work.
I admire the fact that you and so many others hold our AME/LAME friends in such high regard. Bushy is spot on when he says that it is an honourable profession. So many good people put so much good work into having your machine ready to fly in the morning!
My only little piece of advice to you would be to consider how much work and determination was required of you to make a good pilot and to remember that the same will be required to make you a good AME/LAME. A trade qualification is not just a piece of paper you stick into your CV and talk about at airline pilot interviews. It will require you to immerse yourself in the maintenance environment in order to learn many of the judgement and legal aspects that are part of the job. As you know, there's a whole lot more to being a good AME/LAME than knowing how to use shiny tools.
Perhaps you could consider full time maintenance and only occasional flying. Or maybe you are only seeking an insight into aircraft maintenance without much regard for qualification, in which case spending the odd day here and there in a variety of maintenance facilities could suit you?
Best of luck to you. PM if you'd like more info.
kind regards
Buzzy

bbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz