PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 206/207 - what's the difference??
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2007, 01:35
an3_bolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has been a long time.....so memory a little scratchy.
Points different for the 207:
Several different 207 models do exist. The mains ones I saw were the 7 seater and the 8 seater (stationair 8 I think) with the IO520. May also find the turbo model with the TSIO520 up front as well. Also used to fly a Bonair conversion with the IO550 and Black Mac - that worked well. The turbo I used to fly was no better than the others.
All fly similar - not very well. Precisely - climb gradient and rate can be very poor compared to the C206 when loaded fully. Stories of 10nm to 1500' are not uncommon in higher ambient temperatures. Hence the friendly name of Sky Coffin.
If not carefully loaded, pitch force gradients are low, but still just statically and dynamiclly stable. But can lead to PIO if not carefull. If it tips on its tail during loading - dead give away for out of CG. I do remember carrying a plastic 20 litre jerry full off water in the forward locker (yep - has a locker just between the engine and cockpit accessed from right side exterior) to bring CG forward when carrying pax.
Rear seat/seats are for the smallest person or children only.
Fully loaded with pax - the endurance was not overly long.
Stuff ups:
One guy forgot to lock rear door properly - opened in flight and buckled several rear frames.
One other person had pilot induced occilations during landing - took nosewheel off.
Front lockers with worn latches like to open - need to be locked properly.
Flapless landings - excessive holdoff can result in tail contact.
Bladder tanks - always know how much fuel you really have - guages very unreliable.
Cowling was easy to remove for first flight of day - I did this every day. Picked up many proplems from other poor maintenance and engine handling - cracked cylinders, failed cowl flaps, cracked and failed exhausts, cracked induction system on a T207. Might be a good preventative measure as the glide performance is extremely poor.
Someguys would load very casually and to turn during taxing, would need to apply power against the brakes with full nose down elevator to stop the nosewheel tapping/lifting off the ground. Resultant brake wear and propeller damage is enevitable.
With regards to similarities, can not hurt to have a drive of the C207 as the systems are similar, engines are similar, procedures are similar, loading is more critical, and flying qualities can be similar (if not fully loaded), and performance is poorer. Switches and dials are all in the similar spots.
Always looks good if you turn up for a job and have an idea of where things are and what to do. If you are thinking of going all the way to the other side of the world to drive, it might be a worthwhile investment (and small percentage of the travel costs) to familiarise yourself prior.
Good luck.