PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Co-Pilot arrested, allegedly over alcohol limit. No case to answer.
Old 29th Oct 2007, 22:13
ILS 119.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I said earlier the aviation industry is not aware of "alcohol free" times. The regulators (SRG) do not do anything to combat this situation. Unfortunately aeroplane crashes will never show a fatigued pilot and I'm sure that more accidents are due to tiredness rather than alcohol. I have done a lot with human factors recently and alcohol is probably the least worrying factor. The most worrying aspect is fatigue and problems on the ground which is not helped by airports and their management. I find the most stressfull time is on the ground where more mistakes can be made due to pressure to get airborne again.
What also tickles me is that Airport Security can turn up and work being under the influence i.e. pissed and can then let someone pass through and because they are under the influence not detect it. BANG bomb. However a pilot can turn up for work after only having half a pint of beer and be arrested. Or the pilot can turn up for work alcohol free and either fly the plane into the ground or get the axe from the cockpit and attack the passengers. I do not know what the world is coming to, I just wish that the people in power would listen to the people in the driving seat.