PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus CAPS deployment option during emergency
Old 29th Oct 2007, 22:08
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I0540 is correct but it is not always possible.

Unless you have an IR climbing into the airways into VMC on top is not possible and even if you do you may elect not to go on an airways flight plan.

On a recent trip, quite contrary to the forecast, I encountered moderate icing at FL85 an IMC down to 1,500 feet. Another 500 feet and it was VMC on top but having not filed airways a significant chunk of the flight was IMC to maintain below the TMA.

It didnt matter because the aircraft had full anti icing and in any event the freezing level was high.

However the forecasts are not always accurate so a combination of high terrain and low bases and a TMA to restrict the climb into VMC it is possible to get "caught out" even if it should never happen.

The anser is never to fly in such marginal conditions but the Cirrius is an IFR competant platform which may persuade the pilot to use the aircraft for hard IFR.

In short the answer to your question I think is therefore yes.

There was an interesting article in Flying recently about an ATPL who encountered unforecast icing in an Arrow ending up flying the ILS with an iced out screen.

He admitted he was very lucky and I guess he would have thought about pulling the chute if he had had one!

Sh*t happens I suppose.