PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The first mistake was to declare this a "war"
Old 3rd Nov 2001, 17:24
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
West Coast,

There is some excellent good sense being written on this thread, and while it is sometimes critical of US policy and actions it isn't anti American.

We can be 'for you' without being uncritically so. You should expect your international friends to tell you when you are getting it wrong.

And in many ways you (America) are getting it wrong at the moment.

1) You are losing support in Europe and the moderate Arab World because the bombing has gone on too long, achieved too little and appears open-ended and aimless.
2) You have not done enough to demonstrate that you are a friend of Islam. It's not anti-semitic to oppose Israel's illegal occupation of Palestinian territory, including all those areas seized by force in '67, including the entire West Bank and East Jerusalem.
3) You appear to have double standards in applying and enforcing UN resolutions.
4) Your bombing campaign looks poorly targeted and too costly in terms of collateral damage (Here I suspect it's a matter of perception rather than reality) and seems too slow, insufficiently intensive, and too 'strategic'.
5) This looks like disproportionate knee jerk retaliation, conducted as soon as logistics allowed, rather than a considered response to the terrorist threat.
6) You're making martyrs (and turning OBL into a hero) and storing up trouble for the future.

NONE of the above reduces my sympathy for the tragedy of 11 September, nor does it mean that I think that 'nothing should be done', neither does it put me 'on the fence'. But doing the wrong thing may be worse than doing nothing.