PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The first mistake was to declare this a "war"
Old 3rd Nov 2001, 14:44
ABGO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Gentlemen,

My credentials are 34 years in the military; dropped bombs and also got seriously shot at in Vietnam; three tours as an operational squadron or wing commander; graduate of several staff colleges; for several years the assistant commandant of one; student of military history, political science and air power; and currently living in the Middle East.
I may not please you with certain of the points made, but consider this: which CIA assisted with enabling the Taliban to get into power? (As in the history of the USA's foreign policy - My enemy's enemy is my friend all over again!)
Might I also recommend you read through Sir Michael's speech again - particularly with reference to the other way of catching terrorist criminals (primarily by ongoing police, diplomatic, intelligence and secret service actions)( military as a last resort). As he reminds us, together with winning the hearts and minds of the people who otherwise would give succour and support to terrorists, it takes many years but eventually works - as exampled by the Malaysian Emergency.