PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The first mistake was to declare this a "war"
Old 3rd Nov 2001, 02:39
West Coast

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Mr ploppy
Your arguement sounds as plausible as any. My point is that the journalists at least here in the states are very irresponsible in thier reporting as my story illustrates. Each of the networks hire retired military officers for "expert" analysis. I long ago worked for one who knows nothing of the aviation side of the Navy/Marine Corps, yet he is up there espousing his beliefs as gospel on the capabilities of the F18. What he knows, he learned from a Janes book a few minutes prior. In the immediate days following 9/11 I was impressed by the reporting I saw. The story was enough in of itself, however now the hyperbole must be manufactured to compete with other 24 hour news sources. I watched a Pentagon briefing a few days ago in which an Admiral was raked over the coals by a reporter wanting to know why the war effert was "stalled". No one promised a quick bombing evelution and Bin Ladens head on a stick over a long weekend. Bush has repeatedly said this may be an effort that takes years to complete.
I guess as I end this diatribe, my frustration lies in that that journalists should report the news, not manufacture it.
I also hope from my previous post that I am not labeled as intolerant. It seems there is a double standard on the board.