PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Co-Pilot arrested, allegedly over alcohol limit. No case to answer.
Old 29th Oct 2007, 15:22
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SOTV & tomahawk_pa38,

Thank you for that information. I think it is important that the aviation industry becomes aware that it is not the only section of industry subject to strict controls and to see that there are other ways of approaching it. The rail operators however appear to have been left room for manoeuvre in the legislation. This does not exist in the aviation field where the breath test blood alcohol (BAC) limit was set at the lowest level that could be reliably detected. It does not imply that there is any impairment of function at that limit. Had the limit been set with more reference to the impairment level (which would still have been well below that for driving) then there would have been room for companies to introduce their own testing regimes below the legal limit. As it is the companies are now in a bind, they would be committed to the legal limit as it is not possible to test below it and as we know there appear to be a disturbing number of false positives at this level.

I am little surprised that no one has commented on my other observation that it might be appropriate to apply similar BAC limits to police and maybe customs officers.

YS