PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Co-Pilot arrested, allegedly over alcohol limit. No case to answer.
Old 29th Oct 2007, 14:25
HeliCraig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The issue of whether or not airport staff have reported the pilot concerned, while entirely speculative at the moment, and the subsequent posts on the topic raise an interesting question.

If, as has been suggested, it was an entirely malicious report resultant from some form of "squabble" earlier in the day then it is clearly totally unacceptable and the individual should be prosecuted for wasting police time as well as sent the bill for costs from Virgin.

However... the really interesting question (IMHO) is what if it was a genuine report made to the police because the staff member smelt alcohol on the pilot during an normal interaction between them?

As other contributors have said the staff member is most likely not qualified or obliged (contractually) to report the occurrence; however perhaps they have simply reported a smell of alcohol to the police; who have then decided to act on the information as has been reported. The staff member has done nothing more than report a fact "I can smell alcohol," and questionably is reporting this in the interests of flight safety??

So, they are essentially reporting an observation - in good faith - for further investigation by a competent body. It is then down to them how to deal with the matter - I would suggest going and seeing if they could also smell alcohol would be a good starting point!

It is just a thought which occurs to me, that's all. I am neither saying I agree with that standpoint, nor disagree - just my two penneth worth and seeing what the rest of you think!

Craig.

Last edited by HeliCraig; 29th Oct 2007 at 14:26. Reason: Spelling / Grammar