PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAAF Future
Thread: SAAF Future
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2007, 13:58
pointer41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The merits of the SAAF and its well trained crews can be seen from the crews that are in such high demand in the international market at present with the likes of Emirates etc, that have just left the National Carrier.
I dont really understand what you are trying to say, but it might just be me.

As I understand, the SAAF has for considerable time (I guess since about 1940 or earlier) been losing aircrew to the civil sector, and some to abroad. However, I think the industry concern is the impact of losing commercial aircrew. The military pilot does not necessarily qualify for commercial work, it pretty much depends on which aircraft they served, related experience and of course, ratings. But of course, that is stating the obvious.

Said tongue in cheek of course...

The problem for the local industry, as for the SAAF, is when training, recruitment, etc. cannot keep up. It takes seven years to build seven years experience, there are no magic courses to create heavy trainsport commanders, etc. It is speculated that the current orders placed on major aircraft manufacturers actually supersede world wide training capability, meaning a pilot shortage is coming. One can only hope it will see a decline of shady operators and poor pay for guys sweating on contracts.