PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Co-Pilot arrested, allegedly over alcohol limit. No case to answer.
Old 29th Oct 2007, 13:07
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twistedenginestarter the last person that "snitched" a VA pilot was wrong and nearly wrecked somones professional life, personally if I was the last guy who was wrongly accused I would of found out who wrongly shopped me and consider legal action for all sorts of arguments, deformation of character, undue stress etc etc.

So many people ready to play supacop with no official training !
indeed - I wouldn't hesitate - If it were me I would certainly ask the police to look very closely at the motives behind the allegation, especially if it occured after, say a confrontation or argument with someone (security, despacher etc)
And I would certainly launch my own legal procedings.
Whilst we can get all moralising about wether people's lives are at stake bla bla bla, the fact remains that security and other airport workers are not qualified, are not paid, and are not supposed to be policing the alchohol issue (if indeed there is an issue). Why they take it on themselves to do so is a mystery to me, when they will all go on strike at the drop of a hat if asked to do anything else outside their terms and conditions.
If it is not in their contracts and job descriptions that they should do so (I suspect not), then I believe they will be on very very very thin legal ice If if they take it into their head to make an allegation that subsequently turns out to be incorrect. If it is not a company policy for them to do so (which again I suspect it's not), then the company will wash their hands of the issue and any liablity will fall personally on the individual concerned.
For the sake of being vindictive it could lead to a significant personal loss to the accusee.