PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Wish I Hadn't Said That ...
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2007, 09:56
Educated Armourer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I hadn't done that....

My first posting after training was to Stafford in 1981 - and my first boss was Chief Tech Ken Savage. He used to discuss his first posting on Lincolns. I was in the Gun Bay and every 6 weeks or so we used to take a batch of renovated Aden Guns to Cold Meece to test fire them. It was a good day out - and on the way back we would have lunch in the pub, before returning to base to clean the guns and leave early for the weekend.

As well as the guns and ammo we used to take an urn of sugared and an urn of un-sugared tea. On one early occasion some individual poured me a cup of the sugared variety. I hate sweet tea and as we weren’t shooting at that time I opened the back door to the shooting box and threw my tea away. As I reached the point of no return I realised that Ken was having a p*55 against the wall and I soaked him from head to toe in hot sticky tea.

Possibly not the best way for the new lad to make an impression with the boss. We exchanged Christmas cards for many years until I lost touch in the 90s, what a gent.