PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Co-Pilot arrested, allegedly over alcohol limit. No case to answer.
Old 28th Oct 2007, 20:30
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Does the airline industry have a similar routine to the railway as to testing for alcohol when reporting for work? I am breathalysed on a random basis about 2/3 times a month when booking on and the limit (I think) is 12 micrograms/100 ml of breath, about a third of the road limit.
SOTV,
The answer is no, the airline industry does not have such as system. From a personal point of view I would have no objection in principle to such a procedure.
I am interested in how it is adminstered in the railway industry, is the test done by your employer or by the regulatory body or the police?
What is happens if the test is positive but by a small margin? Obviously you must be removed from duty, but what happen then?
Is the procedure for handling those who fail by a large margin different from the situation outlined above?
How are repeated failures dealt with?
If the test is administered by your employer, and you fail, do they inform the police?
On another tack, I have long felt that given the number of police vehicles involved in accidents and the general demands of the job (including access to firearms), similar alcohol limits and testing procedures should be applied to all police officers reporting for duty.
YS