PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SilverJet
Thread: SilverJet
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2007, 13:24
Ianj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading the above post I would like to correct some of the statements mentioned. I dont know whether you work, or have worked for Silverjet. Some of the posts you have mentioned are not only false but are putting people off applying to a very successful and professional airline like Silverjet.

Here is an explanation of the above points as they currently stand!

1. Like mentioned no union and this is up to the crew. Silverjet have been flying for less than a year and who knows when and this might happen. Doesnt this say something about how the crew feel working for Silverjet. If conditions were really that bad surely this would have happened a while ago??

2. No Crew Food! Infact, we do have crew food and it is the same as what our customers can select. An allocation of these meals are put aside for the crew as well as having an allocation of all other food offered to our customers.

3. Pay - Cabin Crew - £10,500 plus a flight pay of £2.75 per hour and I can tell you that on 4 flights a month cabin crew are on a fantastic pay and are on par with pay of that of a charter airline who work 4 flights a week!

4. Back to back flights - Yes this is true crew can be rostered or called off standby to do B2B flights. Flight times are between 6-8 hours flying to New York and soon to be Dubai so it isnt long, long haul. And again by CAA regulations you still have your intitled hours off when back to base and downroute. With regards to this being a safety issue surley this is better than working for a charter or certain scheduled airlines doing a SSH (14 hour day) followed by a DLM (11 hour day) followed by a IBZ (8 hour day) then a standby??

5. Full day standby - Standbys as it is at the moment are 6-8 hour standbys so fall within the "Industry Standard" mentioned.

6. Over complicated service - I dont understand how this can be classed as complicated? It isnt complicated but is busy as in the same if working in business on VS or BA. Crew are allocated a certain section of the aircraft and with regards to the walking distance on the 767-200 it isnt a massive aircraft. I would say the same walking distance for crew working in the upper class cabin on Virgin.

7. Passenger Profile - How can someone say that a passenger profile will get worse when flying to DXB? To crew this shouldn't really matter when choosing what airline we wish to work for. Many of our customers have lots of support for Silverjet and love flying with us.

With regards to the other comments I can only say the following

-I certainly dont think asking for a photo to be sent in before interview is illegal, many airlines still do this. It may just be for them to recongise you when you turn up for interview and to go with your file who knows!

- The ladies only lav was a tounge in cheek advert and it works very well. Again, other airlines use this form of advertising.

- The seat is a flat bed and not the form of a cradle seat. Yes it may be at a slant but it is still flat. Silverjet have never said otherwise. And for a third of the price of other business class airlines this is very good.

Finally the last three points and some of the above points shouldnt have any reflect on people applying to Silverjet. If people want to put down an airline that is proving to be very successful, I would suggest trying to find bad points and ensuring that they are fact before saying anything.

Good luck to those applying I wish you the very best.