PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No GrowBags when buying booze.
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2007, 10:29
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
serving alcohol to members in uniform

Having heard this story on the radio, I had an instant idea of what may have occured. But having gone through all of the above post's, with the typical PPRuNe thread creep, I have several issue with the whole uniform outdoor thing.
I will admit to being bias (being ex army), so I am usually very pleased to do anything for serving military, and like to see you folks out and about in uniform. No, I have never worked in a shop, so can't speak for shop workers, but can often find them very uninterested or narrow minded myself.
BUT I agree with some of the above post's in that I really dont like to see folks on the street in unifrorm that could give the local down and outs a run for their money in the scruffyness stakes.
I was very proud to serve this country, and only wish more of the population could have the same values, and discipline that we (ex, and serving) show to each other, value, and live by. But then on the other hand, I was about to buy my first poppy of the year last week, while in a supermarket. In the queue behind me was a young soldier, whom could hardly dress himself, and looked a totally mess, (I can honestly say, that I had looked smarter after two weeks in the field, that this bloke just out of camp). It was such a poor advert for the forces that I didn't buy my poppy there, as I didnt want to be associated with him. So if I feel like that, how do "jo public" feel.
Overall, I still have massive respect for our armed forces, and am grateful for what they give/endure on my behalf, with little or no backing from the current government. But can any of you folks, who have any influence do anything to smarten up some of the creatures wandering around almost inside of their wrinkled 95's. (and yes I'm sure it may affect their human right's if you say anything)

And as for that particular service station, "stuff them". If the staff don't understand that they can refuse someone in uniform, and have no nasty come back, then they are clearly missing the freedom they have IN THIS COUNTRY (provided courtesy of H.M. forces)

Sorry. rant over.

Barnstormer1968