PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DFDRs, FDAUs, FDIMUs, AIMS, QARs and FDA/FOQA data
Old 27th Oct 2007, 21:35
PJ2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DFDRs, FDAUs, FDIMUs, AIMS, QARs and FDA/FOQA data

I would like to know from anyone with knowledge, expertise, experience or who may have or know of documentation, as to whether QARs which are typically designed and installed to serve FDA - FOQA - FDM Programs and are not crash-proof, obtain flight data from the same data sources as the crash recorders and the AIMS.

These sources are typically the ARINC 429 and 717 data busses.

I realize that dataframes are typically different, QARs being more robust in terms of parameters collected and sample rates employed. I am only asking if the data comes from the same data-busses and that it is the same raw binary data being translated into engineering data for use in FOQA - FDM analysis software.

My reading tells me that this is indeed the case, but I would like some input on the question. There is a sense within the industry that FOQA data which is employed in FDM/FOQA Programs and provided to airlines is somehow "suspect" in the sense that it is "not the same" as the DFDR recorded information and that it therefore can "be dismissed" as "advisory" rather than be taken as legitimate as data from the DFDR whereas DFDR data somehow as "legal" recognition and must be taken as accurate and upon which operational decisions can be made.

If anyone has any thoughts based upon the above qualifiers regarding knowledge etc, I would be very pleased to hear.

Thanks - PJ2