PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Benson to go Army?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2007, 21:12
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmh - so you want cost neutral do you?

How much for Dishforth Airfield (keep the barracks to re-house those units coming back from Germany) but the airfield real estate right on the A1.
Yeovilton, lets 'sell' it to the RAF (remember it belongs to Defence Estates and not the Fisheads) or get them to sort Lyneham out in 'Swap Shop' style exchange.

Odiham (even after all off its put back to original state costs will be worth a bob or two).
So that is the sale/money in the kitty - now lets look at somewhere cheap to buy:

Let me think, Scottish PM, employment opportunities required in Scotland, significantly reduced low flying complaints, SPTA has been outgrown by technology and equipment (and is overused as all of the other training areas get reduced (e.g. Germany)). Lots of (albeit relatively small) mountains to prepare crews for future deployments etc. Not too far away from the sea for the Junglies to play (most JMCs take place around there anyway and the boats of the Navy can't afford the fuel to go anywhere else apart from the North/Irish sea) And in comparison to Odiham land is alot cheaper.

So FS and Melchett, I raise your Middle East superbase to a Scottish one - Kinloss or Leuchars (loads of room on both especially when the Tonks reduce their size to pay for Typhoon/JCA). And I also raise you a new large training area north of the boarder (which if succesful will free up SPTA for the Green Party and much need housing development/immigration centres where possible.

Sound like a plan?