PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hydraulic Lock /Jack Stall
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2007, 16:13
K48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aser

Aser thanks for that. It's the same video clip on that thread as given above for those who can't see it. The thread is a good read on Jack Stall. Deep Jack Stall sounds likely to be the Hydraulic Lock that I opened the thread with. Thanks for the highly regarded experience donated above. I can't help feeling quite astonished that this be regarded as an acceptable design compromise in this day and age. It reminds me of my Laguna bonnet flying up last year on the motorway...nearly killing us. When I complained to Renault they said that I had not been using the car within limits..... I shouldn't accelerate over a hill into the wind like that... (joking). But seriously they did say that I had not maintained it properly etc etc! My own RoadAI revealed that the 2 main catches are under-designed pathetic little things... and over the years grease plus dust had made a paste that prevented them from locking closed..(not visible) the backup centre latch that is supposed to be the last-chance-saloon backup was/is also under engineered with a weak spring that was not doing it's job, (also not visible). 3 failures... and I was made to feel that it was my fault? I am not ever buying a renault again... nor will I ever a helo with jackstall issues for that matter.. isn't it just poor design mentality? How hard can it be to increase the specs of your Hyd system? I wonder how can a dual system like on the Dauphin suffer the same issue as a single system? This may mean that you are twice as likely to get a serious failure... and so actually being worse than a single system? In contrast an As332 with op limits imposed for one system inoperative makes sense.. but not for both Operative Is it not fair to wonder why is this a tolerated state of affairs? Surely it's an undisputable certainty that accidents will and have happened as a result. I acknowledge that all helos/a/c have limits... but this just doesn't seem acceptable.. it's like... your nice new car manual reads: 'Occasionally when your laguna is full of passengers and you have to break hard from near vne 70mph the hydraulic breaks might stall and leave you with no brakes....oh and it will swerve right and lock up too. I confess to being on a learning curve here but sometimes it takes fresh eyes to see how ludicrous a state of affairs has become. I was a mechanical engineer and do feel this design compromise is totally unjustified in such an a/c. We all know the stability comparisons of helos vs fixed wings.. now consider cars -with a 2 dimensional advantage: Brake failure would still not be acceptable. So I do wonder how this situation ever got past certification for helos.: I know it's all probably been said before.. Perhaps the problem is lack of evidence after such a catastrophic accident?.... (How many are possibly absorbed in pilot error or IMC stats?...anyone from AAIB volunteer a suggestion?)
Sorry for the rant.. no rant should finish without a suggestion of a solution... Perhaps the solution could be a refit of all under-spec Hyd systems at manufacturers cost... maybe their insurance would pay...? better than pilots/pax with their lives? Or maybe I am missing something....? $$$