PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrews are at the end of their tether
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2001, 14:23
D-IFF_ident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to seperate the wheat from the chaff now, as the thread attracts the loquacious and opinionated. There are real Flight Safety issues here and there are real concerns. As I don't get my opportunity to visit Oman for another month I though I'd try something constructive while I have time on my hands. So, after a brief chat with AMTW I went knocking on the door marked 'FS1' and here is what I found out:

1. AMTW are interested in receiving anything about fatigue related incidents and any feedback about the conditions during the Ex or the Op would be gratefully received. They may be in a position to put some weight behind us if we send them relevant information.

2. The inspector of Flight Safety took very seriously the letter he received from the Canberra crew in theatre. There have been a number of Condors and HFORs received at IFS and they would welcome any more. The Inspector has also been briefed on this thread; he agrees that the situation is far from ideal.

3. The problems started becoming apparent during SSII and IFS started monitoring the situation. After a number of FS issues were raised inquiries were made into improving accommodation and facilities. But, as the tents were part of the exercise, there was little to be done. When the exercise effectively finished and the Op started the number of Condors and HFORs increased and IFS passed their concerns up the chain of command. Please remember that IFS can only advise; they have no real muscle or remit to intervene (so they're not 'being spineless').

4. The Inspector received a very well written letter that set out the situation in detail. He was so concerned about the FS implications that he had his team conduct a few inquiries. This thread then became part of the Inspector's brief. The Inspector, in turn, wrote to CAS, voicing his concern and copying CAS the Canberra letter (and parts of this thread).

5. CAS has written to PJHQ and they are now aware of the problems. It appears that, previous to this letter, PJHQ were only interested in getting aircraft into theatre and concentrating on the mission; they weren't aware of the problem.

6. So where does that leave us now? Well, PJHQ are reluctant to spend money, of course. But things will change and soon. Various solutions are being looked at, including HOTAC, local rented accommodation (as in Bahrain) or more tents, but better planned tents - further from the runway, 1 crew to 1 tent, a better infrastructure and generally like the old tent city of PSAB or the current one in Incirlik.

7. IFS are monitoring the situation closely and expect things to be done before Christmas; CAS has suggested to the Inspector that he will put greater pressure on PJHQ if things don't change soon.

8. As an aside, I also saw the TCAS in-service plans in writing. I was particularly interested to note that the money was allocated to the VC10 TCAS implementation in mid 1999. Anyway, expect to see the first TCAS fitted VC10 around June next year.

Finally, IFS are desperate for greater feedback from us all. They want information about Ops all over the world and are particularly interested in 833 radio problems. Also, even if it seems trivial that there are no FRCs on your aircraft, report it; at £25 a throw we can afford more.