PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2007, 08:36
Tappers Dad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Ovee

Every flight would have been given a proper post-flight check for any faults.
REMARKS OF STN CDR on XV227 incident November 2004,
When the insidious nature of this technical failure and severity of damage to the wing spar became clear, I ordered a UI to establish the cause. The area of the SCP involved was not subject to a maintenance policy; a particular concern as the ageing Nimrod MR2 is extended beyond its original OSD. The F765B comprehensively covers all the issues raised within the UI.
This incident also highlights that it is particularly important that all who are involved in operating ageing aircraft be aware of the potential for failure in areas not previously subject to inspection regimes. This is not the first on the Nimrod MR2 in recent months. Airworthiness and design authorities need to be cognisant of this fact as new servicing schedules are proposed/debated; the unexpected failure should be ever at the forefront of our minds.

I agree that Proper post-flight checks are carried out on 230 but as we see from the remarks above they check areas they are told to check if its not on the list it doesn't get checked.
Potential for failure in areas not previously subject to inspection regimes, shows some areas are not subject to inspection.

dodgysootie
Every flight would have been given a proper post-flight check for any faults
As i said above it was said that people should be aware of the potential for failure in areas not previously subject to inspection regimes.

This hasn't helped
incident reports leaked to Sky news
The incident reports were obtained under the FOI

everythingbuttheboy

Is it just me, or is anybody else concerned about the amount of coverage that the nimrod is currently receiving in the press, concerning fuel leaks and "crew uncertainty" about whether or not the aircraft is safe to fly.......
I spoke to a senior Officer in Kinloss in Sept and asked him if he would be happy to fly the Nimrod if the Limitations on using Tank 7, the SCP and AAR were removed. He wouldn't answer the question so I said if the were OK for XV230 to fly without the limitations why aren't you flying them now without limitations. After all the BOI hasn't reported yet so what makes you think those limitations will make a difference again no answer.

If your son was killed in a car crash driving a Ford and the inquiry was done by Ford and the people doing the inquiry had never investigated a car crash before would you be happy with that?? Would you have faith in their findings given the F700 was destroyed.
Would you be happy to be told in Sept the BOI will report in June then in June told it will be Sept then in Sept be told Nov then late Oct told next year.

As for the BOI we are waiting and waiting and waiting .
Ben's mum and I and his brothers want to know why he was blown into pieces in a so called reliable ac with a good safety record.