PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrews are at the end of their tether
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2001, 13:04
Dissi Loo Shunned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaps, please go back and read my two previous posts when passions aren't running high and you will see that I most certainly do not advocate living in such conditions. I merely point out that as professional aviators, the individual has the ultimate responsibility for his/her declaration of fitness to fly.
Dan Wint-it is because there is other suitable accomm. that makes this issue all the more critical. If there was no alternative then their arseships might have a leg to stand on when ordering you to get on with it. As it is, if everyone - not the Detco,not the captains,not just the pilots said "I'm sorry but due to a disrupted sleep pattern as a result of the living conditions, I am not fit to fly", then something would be done. Show me the Grp Capt who would order his crews to fly when they have declared themselves unfit to do so. If your argument is "well that would be the end of my career", I would say that if things are as bad as are reported (and I'm sure that they are), then your little pink bottom doesn't mean as much to you as mine does to me!
Beagle - thanks for your comments. I think you got my point that all types encounter different environmental stressors at different times - notice, different not less or more. I objected to WWW's assertion that truckies were the only ones who flew tired.
Lastly, I will state again the core of my argument. No-one should have to accept conditions which compromise their ability to carry out their role safely, if there is no alternative to these conditions (heli FOB for example). If someones' ability is compromised, it is up to them alone, in the first instance, to ensure that themselves, their crew, other operators and lastly their aircraft are not endangered. They do this by declaring themselves unfit to fly. In the current Op there are no excuses for not doing this!