PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS Engineering Apprenticeship
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2007, 01:28
epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSSSST...
Hey young fellas can i give you a piece of valuable advice.
Stop listening to these stale old battery hens that work on boring giant stiff wing thingos and get an apprenticeship working on the most amazingingly beautiful and graceful flying creatures around.
Helicopters.
And. If you get a job working with a company that flys for the oil industry you will go home with not only job satisfaction, you'll be paid reasonably/very well (once licensed).
There is such a shortage of good helicopter engineers at the moment.
A good place to start is the military. Lots of young blokes do it that way.
And what an exciting way to do your training!
Good machines, good training, hands on work that involves flying in the machine and flight testing. And being with other young blokes with the same passion for life and flying machines.
I've worked all over the place in choppers and always found it a fascinating and challenging job. I am constantly hands on with the machine and working directly with pilots, ground crew and operations. And i'll say it again. A bit of flying around testing the machine to make sure things are right. That can be so much fun, and at the end of a hard days work so bloody rewarding!!!!
In the right job you will be with a small crew of guys that will be only intersted in one thing, making that chopper fly right and fly safely. No time to sit around on your ass complaining about this and that.
So don't despair. I have worked in the airline industry and found it a bit depressing.
Aircraft are great things to work on.
And i earn as much if not more than the drain cleaning plumbers.
You just need to think outside the box a bit and choose your direction carefully. Just because Qantas is big doesnt mean its the best to work for.
Ok enough said.

Last edited by epic; 27th Oct 2007 at 01:48. Reason: typo, i'll get ribbed!