PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrews are at the end of their tether
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2001, 21:57
BEagle

Received 333 Likes on 116 Posts
Disi - my experience of the Harrier GR3 world in the field was only as a desk-sucking blotter-jotter holding pilot-cum-site ops off between my Gnat and Hunter courses back in 1975 (ulp!). Your tents were well sorted, sited and supported and there weren't many of us to a tent. Plus we all rose at dawn and stacked at dusk; you guys worked in an exceptionally demanding environment, but if I remember right it was a STO off the MEXE or grass, about 25 mins airborne and then either a RVL back or VL on the pad, followed by a cockpit turn and re-tasking with perhaps a quick bite - the cycle repeated up to 5 times a day? Very hot, hard work in an unforgiving but very well supported world.

But Bona Mates were very high profile and We had them, but They didn't. The Harrier was an utter revolution and the ultimate aspiration of most wannabee fighter pilots. Contrast that to this farce in Onan (Freudian slip!); our Squirearchy apparently don't give a stuff - or, if they do, they've achieved b*gger all to improve matters. No UK fast jets involved, no interest. That's the way it seems to many!!