PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrews are at the end of their tether
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2001, 14:11
maniac55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I think TURNBULL has a point. Does anyone know what allowances/conditions/'Extensive Welfare Package' (I'm sorry but that makes me laugh every time I here it, usually from a Senior Officer strangely) other Dets/Ops are receiving?

One of the reasons that keeps being used as to why we are still in tents is, the 'local threat'. B&ll*cks, this is a moderate country with which we have had good relations for a number of years, I've been going to Oman for the past decade and it's one of the best places we get to go to, I'd personally be insulted if I were an Omani. The 'threat' are extremists/terrorists not the nations general population and as such is no greater than at home.

At a recent presentation for the wives the question was asked 'If Saif Sareea had not been going on where would our husbands be staying', replied by the Staish 'Initially they would be in hotels, but would eventually move into tents'. I'd suggest not. It took 2 years to plan SS2 just to prove a point, and we're still in tents to continue proving that point.

I don't think we can argue about staying in tents, as much as I'd like to, but where those tents are is another matter. Another comment from this brief was 'They'll get a good nights sleep every 3rd night because they'll be so knackered' this from someone who has rotated back, if that is not a flight safety issue in itself I hate to think is. And I don't just refer to us aircrew, the groundies are equally important in flight safety as ourselves. We all need a decent nights rest, it's that simple yet our solution is 'Take some ear plugs'.

Do I sound disillusioned? I am. I don't know where the comment was first made or by whom but, 'It's not about the money' and to a large part it isn't, it's about how we treat and look after our people. Having said that this entire issue of LOA is a disgrace.

Still could be worse.

[ 02 December 2001: Message edited by: maniac55 ]
Edited beacuse I can't speel.

[ 02 December 2001: Message edited by: maniac55 ]