PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2007, 08:12
atcowannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Gonzo,

Thanks for your input, I understand your post was not just aimed at me but in resposne in relation to me personally:

I understand where you are coming from but me not attending a visit doesnt reflect on my motivation or preperation, it is more to do with me simply not considering that a visit was an option. Post Sept 11th etc etc I hadnt considered that NATS would allow (and even if they did, 'want') someone wandering around thier security conscious buildings - but clearly I was wrong in that respect.

What have I done to prepare/how do I know that I really want to be an ATCO?

1) I have trawled the internet for as much relevant information that I can on what an ATCO does, what NATS does, what organisations are above NATS, what technologies are used, how the technologies work etc etc.
2) I have tried to find as much other information as possible that contains information about how ATCOs work and what the job entails (for instance this months 'airports of world' magazine contains a good article on UK airspace and 'airliners' magazine an article on the history of air traffic control.
3) I have spent the last year and a half getting myself in a financial position to be able to go through the college year and although being offered to join a round the world trip and a share in a house I stuck to my plan

So all in all I feel I have (and am continuing to) prepare as much as I can, I simply didnt realise that a visit was an option (which I accept may have been short sighted on my part ). Now that I am aware that it is an option I agree 100% that it will be extermely valuable and will certainly be looking into it today.

So hopefully when I am asked 'how did you prepare for today' I will be able to give more than a 5 word answer