PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 2
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2002, 19:20
attackattackattack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The response of MOD convinces me that we should maintain the pressure.

Those that feel the need to do so might use the excellent facility at <a href="http://www.faxyourmp.com" target="_blank">Fax Your MP.com</a>. This is free and offers a direct connection to your representative in the House of Commons.

At the risk of being too pushy I attach the text of my message to my MP (who is a right wing Tory representing a constiuency with a substantial miltary connection). You may wish to use some or all of it in your fax:

Re: The House of Lord's enquiry into the crash of the Chinook on the Mull of Kintyre.

The recent report from the HoL enquiry into the crash of Chinook ZD576 exonerates the pilots from the accusation of gross negligence. I’m sure that you’ll agree that this accords with any sense of natural justice and is entirely in keeping with the facts (or lack thereof) of the case.

To date responses the from MOD have been wholly unrepentant in tone. There would appear to be a continuing desire to support the entirely unjustified views of messieurs Day and Wratton that there is no doubt about the original cause of the accident. These views being held despite the original findings of the service Board of Enquiry into the accident which stated that he cause of the accident cannot be categorically decided.

May I request that you, as the member for a constituency with a proud and substantial military connection, raise the matter of MOD’s unwillingness to respond appropriately to both the evidence, and the findings of a number of highly qualified enquiries. In addition may I request that you do your utmost to fight the suggestions that AVM Day be promoted to head the Royal Air Force.

There are a number of deeper issues related to this whole matter that should also be discussed in open forum. The introduction of the Chinook Mk II to service was laden with decisions of political expediency rather than operational safety. Both Day and Wratton had influential roles in the introduction of an aircraft that neither the operating crews in Northern Ireland nor the test pilots at Boscombe Down trusted.

It would be very sad if the reputations of two excellent pilots and the feelings of their families continued to be sacrificed for the benefit of two extremely arrogant men.

Yours faithfully