PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 2
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2002, 22:56
John Nichol

Received 81 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, what a day!

I'm not ashamed to say that I came over all emotional when I stood in the HofL and read the Lord's conclusions. I know that Mike Tapper and John Cook are more than grateful for all of the support that they have received over the last 7 3/4 (yup, that long!) years.

I managed to get into the MOD's unofficial (and very "off the record") briefing this afternoon and I can tell you that their position remains unchanged. They gave the same brief to the journos as they gave at the HofL saying that the "facts" proved that the pilots were to blame.

When I asked for clarification on a number of these "facts" it all got a bit tense and the MOD press briefing was called to an ignominious end - they simply were not prepared to be challenged on the facts.

Worst of all, I'm sad to report that the RAF is being shown in a very bad light with some MOD "sources" now casting aspertions on the character and skills of both pilots.

Though we have finally won the battle, I suspect the war is far from over. Never underestimate the arrogance of Senior Officers.