PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 2
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2002, 22:41
Flatus Veteranus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warmest congratulations to Brian, John and all others who have campaigned with such resolution.

Funny thing, but immediately the BOI findings were published my wife shouted "Gross injustice!" I said "Oh come on, when a pilot flies an aircraft into a stuffed fog-bank, there has to be a strong presumption that his finger was in". That was before I discovered that the standard of proof in the case of a dead pilot had been raised from balance-of-probability, in my day, to absolute certainty. Without a surviving witness to events on the flight deck, or CVR/ADR, the current standard cannot be achieved. So negligence cannot be found.. .The way ahead raises interesting constitutional questions. CAS, or the AFB, or indeed Buff Hoon cannot "instruct" C-in-C Strike to do anything specific; they only issue broad directives. The C-in-C is responsible to HM the Queen (remember the chain of command for redresses?). Our dear Tone, with his famously sensitive antenna for the public mood, has only to write to the Palace suggesting to Queenie that she ought to convey her uneasiness over the BOI findings to AOC-in-C Strike and instruct him to delete the comments of the Reviewing Officers from the Proceedings. And then she might write letters of sympathy and regret to the next-of-kin of the pilots. Endex! Would this be too sensible an outcome with faces saved all round?