PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Pilot watches ??
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2007, 21:04
eharding

A little less conversation,
a little more aviation...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stik,

Wow - I go away for a day, and come back to find I'm off two Christmas card lists, have got the hump, bitter, and a chip on my shoulder.

Those that know me better would know chips don't last long in the vicinity.

My concern, I'll have you know, is purely altruistic, and stems from the sheer weight of some of these lumps of metal, and the effects they can have during the more spirited aspects of aviation - in a 6g manoeuvre, the wearer will have effectively strapped the thick end of a kilo of dead-weight to his lower arm - clearly a serious impediment to the safe operation of the controls. I would hope that the manufacturers recommend that the wearer should adopt a safety programme of development of the fore-arm muscles, presumably by indulging in periods of vigorous wrist-action throughout the day; I have no idea if Spamcan and White Bear partake of the more energetic types of aviation, but it seems that that have both adopted the wrist-exercise training with some gusto - that's it chaps, safety first.

Actually, one of the local Advanced crew - lets just call him A.Mole, from his habit of digging his way out of upturned Zlins - decided he'd had enough of his Rolex snagging the edge of the cockpit in the Extra when whanging the throttle about in the approved fashion, so took it off, zipped in into the chest-pocket of his trusty old flying suit. One decent push, and the thing ripped its way out, and after an afternoon's de-panelling we had to conclude it had made its way out of the gap at the back next to the rudder. Lucky it didn't get stuck in the elevator. These pilot watches can be killers in the wrong hands, I tell you. Best not to let them near an aeroplane, just to be on the safe side.