PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Standard Atmosphere
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2007, 19:15
K.Whyjelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JSA

Can't give you an exact or precise indication as where to find the information you are seeking suffice to say that the twoseperate meteorology guides I used to get my UK ATPL (A) both mention JSA.

Manual 1 states the following:

Jet Standard Atmosphere

The mean sea level values of temperature, pressure and density are identical to those of the ISA, however the temperature lapse rate is assumed to be 2 degrees Celsius per 1000ft with no tropopause. In other words, the temperature in the JSA at 40000ft is -65 degreesCelsius (as compared with -56.5 degreesCelsius in the ISA)

Manual 2 states this:

There is also a Jet Standard Atmosphere which is ISA made easy for pilots. Here the temperature lapse rate is assumed to be 2 degrees Celsius per thousand feetwith no tropopause. You will meet the JSA in Flight Planning;it is not used inmeteorology.

To back up the above claim I encountered the JSA in my Flight Planning examination when presented with CAA publication Data Sheets 33 and 34 (ahh happy memories) relating to the 'specimen aircraft' remarkably similar to the VC10 and B747.

Having obtained a FAA ATP the year before my UK ATPL (A), I cannot recall hearing or seeing any reference to JSA in my FAA study notes; maybe a reason youhaven't come across the term is because you don't get examined the way we were in the UK in the early 90's

Last edited by K.Whyjelly; 25th Oct 2007 at 19:26. Reason: trying to fix the cock up to my layout and colours (thanx spellchecker!!)