PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHANNON
Thread: SHANNON
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2007, 18:57
GELOFAB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
competition? what competition?

I don't understand, and don't agree, with your eager for competition btw irish airports.
In my opinion the road to go is right the opposite. Dublin Airport is the big fella making all the money? ok, so it be.

In return Dublin should subsidize ,at least, the other state airports that are non profitable.
To do this the Airport Authority should remain united and held all the Airports .The profitables and the ones tha could not make it.
This does not mean those airports in the red shall not to be audited or kept under financial control to avoid missuse or waste of those resources. No.
One thing is not contradictory with the other.
But as far as I know you all live in a country called Ireland, not Dublin. This kind of mentality to be competitive among each other I find it quite poor and short minded, and could end up in a simple solution.Closure or demotion of other Airports.

anybody wants that?

What could happened is that those other airports may have difficulty to survive (specially Airports like Shannon with a low catchment area)? who will suffer the consequences? the french?the germans? the italians? no: the irish citizens who have committed the sin to live outside the Dublin catchment area.
Anybody think that by NO subsidizing Shannon or Cork , passengers in Dublin will get a much better discount in their final fare or deal? Well if you think so let me laugh about that.
Anybody think the closure or downsizing of Shannon Airport will benefit the final fare of the dubliner flying to Brussels or Frankfurt??Allow me to laugh again please .

And if those Airports are not to survive...where is the mother of all principles, where is the sacred competition principle?? Who is going to compete against Dublin Airport?

Not everything in life has to be competition.

Co-operation and no competition is the key in this case ,to me at least.

Benefits for the whole country surpasses clearly the teorical increases in the final bill for the consumer flying out of Dublin.
And of course, again, the Airports being "subsidized" should be kept under strict financial control.